Saturday, December 12, 2020

We loved "Henri"

 Well, in these times, we would love to have our beloved Oscar around but Henri was a lot of fun virtually as well.  Gone now, but we enjoyed him a lot.



With a heavy heart, I have to announce that Henry (you may know him as Henri, le Chat Noir) has passed on at the age of 17. He had developed a problem that was causing a deterioration in his spine and though he was able to be in relative comfort until the end, there was just no path forward since he was only comfortable while immobile. We are grateful that even during this pandemic, we were able to have a doctor safely come to Henry’s home to help him pass peacefully, surrounded by those that loved him.
Henry packed a lot into his years with us. We adopted him from the Seattle Animal Shelter as a kitten, and from day one his regal presence and distinguished personality filled the home. A short film project I made in film school became the first Henri film, and the rest is history. Henry became a best-selling author, a Golden Kitty award winner, and appeared in every year of the Internet Cat Video Festival (now CatVideoFest). It will be tough to make, but I will create a video tribute to Henri (and Henry) for next year’s reel and I will make it available online as well. He also helped to raise tens of thousands of dollars for cats in need around the world. And he did it all from his couch.
I always noted how little Henry had in common with the angst-filled character he portrayed. He was a good natured and happy cat, and as far as I could tell, never suffered a single existential crisis during his life. But as the years went on, I started to realize that it was his imperious stare and the nobility behind his eyes that made Henri work, more than my terrible French and pedestrian piano playing. No one had a problem immediately accepting that this cat was a deep-thinking philosopher. Maybe he actually was. He also liked chin scratches.
Before Henry’s health problems, my mother (and Henry’s actual caretaker) had begun work on a small book of poetry about life with Henry and her other multitude of kitties, including the still living l’Imbecile Blanc. I (ahem, excuse me…Henri) had actually already written the introduction. It will be published soon and we’ve made arrangements for all of the proceeds to benefit animal shelters in our area in his memory. Henry wouldn’t have it any other way.
I know that hearing this sad news will be difficult. But remember that Henri lives on in your memories as well as ours, and in the amusement he brought to all of you. The foremost goal was always to make people laugh! I would encourage all of you to share your favorite Henri video or quote today, because everyone needs a good laugh now more than ever.
Henry, thank you for everything you brought to my life and to the lives of so many people and cats out there. I hope they have Party Mix wherever you are now. So long, brother.
Your Thieving Filmmaker,
Will