Sunday, May 31, 2020

Dating during Covid19 is like dating in Jane Austen novel

Yes, I think there is something to this.  And I've felt that if I need to read something comforting in these times, I can always read Jane Austen.


As all the commercials solemnly inform me, we are living in An Uncertain Time. If it is not Uncertain, it is definitely A Trying Time. Or nothing short of An Unprecedented Time. 
Apologies to all the brands, but I do not think this is an unprecedented time. I’d say it is very precedented indeed. It reminds me of a place I never really wanted to go but was forced to venture often as an English major. It reminds me of a Jane Austen novel.
In a Jane Austen novel, there’s always a young woman on the cusp of adulthood, right at that giddy, exhilarating stretch when your life really starts to happen. But instead of getting to travel the world, galavant about with friends, go to a university, maybe get a job so her entire financial future doesn’t hinge on her fiancé’s estate situation, our heroine just…hangs out at home. With her parents. And her siblings. And then: She waits. Her life is constrained by an endless list of things she is not allowed to do, like go literally anywhere without it being a whole production, or enjoy so much as a friendly hug with a potential love interest.
Rest of the article:
https://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a32699248/dating-during-covid19-jane-austen-novel/?fbclid=IwAR2Uotk2ZMLFO2ePGJXU2C2Ob2UWifwp4y7pQM_hCk09qZ9L74f0xzZlQWA