Thursday, October 12, 2017

Sad headline today in the Vancouver Sun

B.C. losing an "institution" in Sears

 My first job was at Sears (the flagship Burnaby store) when I turned 16.  I made $1.05 an hour and my first job was in the snack bar.  It was very busy and I was given no training other than to make a hollow in the middle for the ice cream cones so less ice cream was used.  The manager kept the ice cream very cold and hard (you could make a bigger hollow spot that way) so I almost broke my arm scooping it up.  Then I was put on the grill and good thing they had photos of the products so I had something to go on.  Said manager came up and told me I was putting on too much in the way of condiments.  A nice older woman who was also working there said,  "Don't worry about her...she'd put the mustard and ketsup on with a paintbrush if she could."

I got asked to work in "Personnel" after I claimed I could type 30 wpm.  I couldn't type at all so I bought "Typing Made Easy" and taught myself to type over the weekend.

They gave employees a 10% discount and that came in really handy when I bought my 1965 Honda 50 motor scooter  when I was in Grade 12.  Yes,  they sold them in the retail store!  It cost $175,  insurance was $35 and I got 200 miles on a half a gallon of gas.  Gas was around 35 cents a gallon.  I still have my permit to drive a motorcycle on my Driver's Licence.

When we were in Victoria I shopped at Sears quite a bit since it was convenient to were we lived.  All Richard's baby clothes were bought there.  They had a good selection.