Sunday, April 19, 2020

Skype and Jane Austen...



Today we had our Jane Austen Association meeting on Skype. Well, it certainly isn't like meeting face-to-face but good on Michelle to organise it. I wonder what Jane Austen would have had to say about it all.

Donna and I talked on Skype the other day just to try it. I know now that I need to "hang up" because there was this buzzing from my computer for about a half hour even though I turned it off and rebooted it.

It was pretty easy...just clicked on the link.

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well and keeping safe. I've just completed a test run for an online video chat and have hope that we are ready for the real thing! 

I'd like to invite you to our new JA Day meeting on 
April 18, Saturday at 10:30am to 11:30am.
Location: online!

On the schedule will be Devoney Looser's presentation, "The Words and Wisdom of Northanger Abbey" (which you may recall was originally our March presentation). 

For our meeting we will be using Meet Now https://join.skype.com/GBMWnV6fPzak
When the time comes, return to this email to click on the link above to join the video conference. 

** if you DO NOT have skype, open the link on your laptop or computer (with webcam) and you don't need to download the app. The link will open on your computer in Chrome or Microsoft Edge.
if you have skype already, clicking the link will open up the app on your computer or smartphone. I can add you to the group if you tell me your skype ID. 
I encourage you to test the Meet Now link above in advance of the meeting. 

Speaker info
"The Words and Wisdom of Northanger Abbey" - Devoney Looser
Northanger Abbey was famously first titled Susan, but did you know it was labeled romance? Or that it and Persuasion were mistaken for one long work? Learn more about Austen’s genius by single word and witty sentence with this image-filled presentation, plus “nice” discussion of women, history, romance, and reading.


I hope to see you on April 18th!

Yours in Jane, 
Michelle