Thursday, April 09, 2020

Ah...what to read in these difficult times?

I'm reminded of a friend saying she just wasn't up to watching The Sopranos since there were lots of difficult things going on in her life at the time. I was rather puzzled that a really excellent series like that wouldn't still appeal and take her mind off things. I now really get it after all these years. I keep thinking I really should read something serious but I find I pick up something and think, "well, that's a bit depressing".  

I always read a lot as a kid although I can't really seem to remember that much of what I read in elementary school....Freddy the Pig, Bobbsey Twins.  As a teenager I read Gone With the Wind, Rebecca, Little Women, my mother's Reader's Digest condensed books, the sagas of Irving Stone and James Mitchener, and of course the magazines like True Confessions. 

But I didn't read Anne of Green Gables and don't recall anyone else reading it. I've started it and it seems to be doing the trick as a distraction. I got it free for my kindle.