Thursday, November 14, 2019

All about books

I had a wonderful time at our session today. I just love this group!

And this from our founder, Kathy, who now is the SF area.

Dear CS Readers/Friends*--

I am thinking of you on the eve of your gathering again for All About Books. You have had an extraordinary year+ of health issues. How I wish for a health benefactor with some magical powers! Magic aside, I know that you benefit from the support of one another. Thus, as I think of you, I am smiling.

I read to p. 254 in Where the Crawdads Sing in Sea Bright, NJ, in September, and last Tuesday, I picked up a library copy that I put on hold at the end of August and finished the book that afternoon. I know that you have been sharing copies; I wish that I could be in your circle tomorrow and hear your responses. The screenplay is supposedly almost finished, and the book continues to appear on the NYT Bestseller List. 

When I changed to Mac OS Catalina operating system on my computer this weekend, I lost my most recent 15 entries, including Where the Crawdads Sing, in my 2019 reading journal. C'est la vie! (I say that, Patti, with a pretend cigarette in hand.) I learned long ago not to fret over what I cannot fix. I am comforted by knowing that I can return to any of the books and refresh my memory.

I have enjoyed reading several books that I would classify as novellas . . . many of them translations. The most recent of them that I would recommend is  A Girl Returned by Donatella Di Pietrantonio, translated from the original Italian where it is entitled Arminula.

Recently, I attended a session of Another Look, a longtime Stanford reading program that focuses on rereading books. The night that I attended, the book was A Face for the World To See, a novella about Hollywood in the 1950s. What really attracted me to the session was an opportunity to see and hear Tobias Wolff in person. I first read his writing when Hilary was at Stanford in the late 1980s.

In December, TheatreWorks will debut a musical version of Pride and Prejudice

TheatreWorks Silicon Valley rings in the holidays with the new musical Pride and Prejudice, the 2019 Tony-winning company's 70th World Premiere. Based on Jane Austen's iconic novel, this engaging work features book, music, and lyrics by Paul Gordon, whose musicals include TheatreWorks favorites Jane Austen's EMMA, Daddy Long Legs, and the Tony-nominated Broadway musical Jane Eyre. Pride and Prejudice follows delightfully liberated Lizzie Bennet and dashing, disdainful Mr. Darcy as they discover the irresistible power of love. A favorite from TheatreWorks's 2018 New Works Festival, this brand new musical romantic comedy will be directed by TheatreWorks's Founding Artistic Director Robert Kelley.

Continue to support one another. Continue to share. Continue to read. 

Love and laughter,
Kathy

* I know everyone except royalbirth and jlsolo. Welcome! You have joined a great group.