Friday, January 08, 2021

Provence Des Campaniles and COVID

 


Reading about all the people who are violating COVID  restrictions makes me feel incredibly sad. We're in a deadly pandemic so the stakes are rather high and yet so many people are not demonstrating any semblance of human decency and thought for others.  

When we were in the south of France when Jim was teaching there I became quite fascinated by the wrought iron bell towers (campaniles) on so many churches. I took many photos and did a painting. I got this book from the public library in Carqueiranne and just fell in love with it. I tried to get a copy but it didn't seem to be available anywhere.

When I returned home someone mentioned  why didn't I just steal it as we were leaving anyway. Well, of course, I would never steal a library book or anything else for that matter. Then they said I could have said it was "lost" and paid for it. I wouldn't do that either. I wouldn't deprive other people of enjoying this wonderful book.

Jim eventually found it for me on ABE and I was thrilled to get it.



My painting.

11 x 14 acrylic on paper

Les Campaniles de Provence

So, I wouldn't deprive people of enjoying a wonderful book but so many people seem completely oblivious to acting responsibly in these very dangerous times.

I hold out hope that when COVID is defeated, all the bells will ring out all over the world and my wonderful bells of Provence will be surrounded by crowds of people enjoying the freedom of gathering again.