Saturday, January 30, 2021

I love IGA

 I have been dividing my shopping between the UBC Save-On and the IGA. The IGA is further to go  and more expensive but I really enjoy the shopping experience there and I like supporting them. They are all individually owned and I don't think this one (4th and Dunbar) is doing that well. It isn't very busy and most people seem to be buying one or two items. My last bill was $150 so while the owner likes to see me people behind me aren't too thrilled:)

They have the absolute best tulips I have ever seen. I don't know where they get them but they are quite cheap (4 or 5 dollars for five) and they last and don't droop after the first day...unusual for tulips you buy. I bought these a few days ago.


I think I will go to IGA pretty much exclusively now but probably will go to Save-On too as the pharmacists are great and we'll continue to go there for prescriptions. I may start going to The Stong's on Dunbar occasionally since it isn't much further. They do very well so probably don't need my support.  Well, the big event in my life these days is going food shopping once a week so might as well have the best experience possible.

Just making my shopping list as I need quite a few items for the salmon chowder soup recipe Donna gave me. Since it uses canned salmon, it reminded me of a little cookbook I have called "The Tin Fish Gourmet"


 I haven't used this for a while but I found a recipe using canned crab that I'm looking forward to trying.


Hmm....well, guess you can't read it but it sounds really good.

I decided to look up the distances and time to drive. You can see I have a lot of time on my hands so I really don't need to worry about time at all. And I really do miss my Safeway and it really isn't all that far and Whole Foods is there as well as Las Margaritas. We're only going to The Sylvia every couple of weeks or so but I could do pick-up at Las Margaritas when I'm at Safeway. Jim and I decided we'll pick up Stepho's roast lamb when we're coming back from The Sylvia since we pass it. We really miss that lamb!

I know our friends in Vancouver who are used to driving all the time what we consider long distances think we're a bit crazy being obsessed by how long it takes to drive but you must realize that we lived in Victoria for 45 years!

Save-On: 4 min.  1.4K

IGA: 7 min.  5.1K

Stong's:  9 min.  5.9 K 

Safeway: 12 min.  7K