Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The joy of just stumbling across things when travelling


I think we actually did stumble upon it, and yes it was fantastic!   It was before I took up calligraphy I think, but you can't keep me out of such a store. LOL. 
-- From Susan K. yesterday in response to my blog

We may have been in it ourselves as we are always attracted to pen and paper shops just like bookstores. When we were in Wales we made a special point of going to Haye-on-Wye, the famous bookstore town. And while it was very worth the trip, the real excitement for us is when we come across a great bookstore when we least expect it. It definitely ranks as one of our greatest pleasures.

Hay-on-Wye (WelshY Gelli Gandryll or just Y Gelli), often abbreviated to just "Hay", is a small market town and community in the historic county of Brecknockshire in Wales, currently administered as part of the unitary authority of Powys.[2] With over twenty bookshops, it is often described as "the town of books", and is both the National Book Town of Wales and the site of the annual Hay Literary Festival.

In our travels in Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, we did sometimes encounter road signs without a translation in English.  





I knew I had a photo from our Ireland trip with Elaine looking bewilderd at a Gaelic only sign and I found that in our album along with a few other bookstore finds of Jim's.



In Galway, Jim was looking for a bookstore and Don was looking for a pub...both successful! The student Jim met in the pub was working there for the summer and served us.  It's a small world!