Sunday, January 19, 2020

My Grandmother Phoebe's house

She lived at 4309 W. 13th Avenue, very close to where we live now. She was close to the West Point Grey Lawn Bowling Club and was an avid bowler. They even have a tournament named after her, the "The Fleming Tournament". She usually was on the winning team and the prize was a pound of tea. I remembr she was rather annoyed when expenses dictated that the winners only got a half pound of tea. I got the address from her Death Certificate from the B.C. Royal Museum genealogy services. My grandfather is listed as having died in 1942 at the age of 64. I can't seem to bring up his death certificate so don't know the address of what was probably the family home. My father went to King Edward High School and that isn't in the West Point Grey neighbourhood and the family couldn't have lived in such a small house.

The current house that is there now was probably built in the early 60's before mega-mansions became popular. The original house was very small and only had one bedroom that my aunt and grandmother shared. I remember seeing the two twin beds. I  usually had to lie down after having too much of my grandmother's excellent cooking. The house on the left is original. Most have been replaced by larger houses.



I imagine this house will be torn down at some point. A larger and higher house would get fabulous views of the mountains and ocean. I remember my father mentioning this when he came back from fixing the roof one day. I took this from the top of the next side street so you get an idea but the actual views would be even better because it would be above the trees. You can't really see the ocean in this photo. The views aren't that much different from 3019 Point Grey Road where Harry and Meghan may buy a house.



 My aunt sold the house soon after my grandmother died in 1959 and rented an apartment near Oakridge. She worked at Woodward's in the hat department and was very proud to be able to tell the story that Mrs. Woodward always asked for her to help pick out her hats. My grandmother and aunt had bought a place on Gabriola Island very close to where my parents had a place and my aunt soon retired there. She was having back problems. Employees in the hat department had to stand the whole time they were working even when not serving customers. My mother often remarked that it didn't seem fair especially for my aunt who was getting older and having difficulties standing for long periods.

My aunt actually got married the year we got married (1968) but didn't live very long after that. She died in 1972. I recently remembered her saying there was lots of room for all the family in the family plot in Mountain View Cemetery in Vancouver so I decided to look into it. I received the information that my grandfather and grandmother are buried there and my aunt's cremated remains are there. There are two additional places for caskets and 7 places for cremated remains. Jim and I have decided we'll have our cremated remains there and Richard has the option to do the same for himself and his family. I found it interesting that I did not have to prove that I was the grand daughter in any official way. I just needed to state my relationship and to know that she was buried there. We are all now registered as "next-of-kin".

Then it was a day for Las Margaritas....Wine Wednesday!