Sunday, January 19, 2020

Burn's Supper...what fun for everyone!

I set the table with my mother-in-law's tablecloth which has a tartan theme, my family's china, and my grandmother Phoebe's sterling silver. I made napkins rings and place names for all the guests with their respective tartans. My napkin ring is my grandmother Phoebe's. Her intials are on top and my mother had "Janice" inscribed on the side. There were four napkin rings so" Richard" and "Jim "on incribed on two others. 

I made "favours" for each family like a bagpipe with the tartans of McGregor and Penman. The contents are an envelope with trivia and Scottish jokes. a coaster, a Christmas ornament with highland dancers and some Macintosh toffees. 

I thought of many people last night who  would have loved to join us....my grandmothers, Jim's grandparents, Jim's mom, Don and Elaine, Bill Thomas (the supplier of the kilt), and my Uncle Doug Denniston, who got some bagpipes from somewhere and learned to play them with a paperback that cost 50 cents. It would have been great to have him piping in the haggis! But we managed with YouTube.

Dave and Cec made a wonderful toast to the "lassies" and Donna, Linda, & Carol gave as good as they got with the "reply to the laddies".  Donna also made a great toast to Scotland. 

It was all such fun and Dave came in with a sword that Carol's father used when he was doing highland dancing. i didn't know about that!

And we toasted Maureen and her "neeps" ...everyone loved them!

And we toasted the memory of our friends and family who would have loved to share in this evening.






The bagpipe favours.





Donna with her Scottish regalia....from Scotland.




 The "Laddies"....
Jim wore one of Don's ties with a south of France  theme.



Dave guarding the haggis with his sword.



 Dave and Cec doing the "toast to the lassies"



Carol, Donna, and Linda doing the "reply to the laddies"


My dear friends, you made it all perfect. What a wonderful evening...thank you so much!