Friday, January 31, 2020

Itty Bitty Book Review: "The House the Spirit Builds"

"The House the Spirit Builds" by Lorna Crozier


I've always loved Crozier's poetry and this new selection of her work was particularly interesting because two photographers worked on it as well.  The photographs and poems aren't meant to exactly fit each other.

I had Lorna Crozier come and do a reading and speak to students at Esquimalt. There were about 200 students. She was a little concerned about the number and suggested perhaps just the ones really interested in poetry attend. I told that would only be about a half dozen and they didn't need to be turned on to poetry. I did assure her they would be polite and attentive but I couldn't guarantee enthusiasm. They all would have studied some of her poetry in their English classes. I had been to a reading of hers and I felt she would go over well but who knows with adolescents.

She surpassed all my expectations in how the students reacted. After the reading, she was mobbed like a rock star!