Friday, August 17, 2018

Mary Pratt March 15, 1935 – August 14, 2018)

From the Globe and Mail:
"Six decades ago, someone told Mary Pratt that she couldn’t be an artist – but that her husband could. “Now you have to understand in a family of painters, there can only be one painter, and in your family, it’s Christopher,” Lawren P. Harris told her.
These words carried weight; Mr. Harris was the son of the Group of Seven’s Lawren Harris, and taught Ms. Pratt art at Mount Allison University. “I went home and I cried,” she recalled later. “I had two children at that point. I thought: ‘I have just enough time. I intend to have children and to have food the table, and I intend to do the ironing, but I will have time to paint.’ ”
In the end, Mary Pratt, who died on Tuesday at the age of 83, did have time to paint, and paint extraordinarily well. Her luminous canvases shifted photorealism into a deep engagement with everyday life, into what Ms. Pratt called “these tiny little truths” embedded in light and fruit, line and meat."

I had seen some of Mary Pratt's work but looked a little more at it.  It really is quite appealing to the eye you certainly have to admire her ability.