Thursday, August 09, 2018

Bouillabaisse at La Brass

We had a great lunch yesterday.  It was one of the finest "North American" bouillabaisse we've had.  We like these so much better than the real "French" ones that are mainly white fish and potatoes and a very thin tasteless broth. Salmon, cod, prawns, mussels, clams in a wonderful broth.




And of course, rouille, crostini, and gruyere.


Well, it's interesting what you forget and I guess the "shellfish" in the French bouillabaisse was very forgettable to the point I didn't think they served any.I knew I had a photo of the bouillabaisse we had in Marseilles with Don and Elaine in 2005...the worst ever probably because we went to a place right on the port rather than hitting the back streets like we usually did when we were on our own and just speaking French.

It looks better than it actually was. The fish and broth were tasteless and I was surprised to see three mussels so I guess I better stop saying there aren't shellfish in the real bouillabaisse.  So, three mussels and I think there were just the shells for four people. The little crab things you see weren't edible. Just for the broth I guess but given the taste of the broth I expect they were just for show and probably had been recycled and served up to many unsuspecting tourists. This was an expensive bouillabaisse even in 2005!

Photos of photos from 2005