Monday, June 08, 2020

Cookbooks

Carol's post reminded me that I bought the new Joy of Cooking although I haven’t really looked at it. I got my original Joy of Cooking  in 1971 as a gift from my staff at a school in Delta where I did my first year teaching. Jim got the job at Camosun College so we moved to Victoria. There were very few teaching jobs especially in Victoria so the thinking of my colleagues was that I would have the time to do a lot of cooking. Well, I got a job after all although it was teaching a lot of subjects I knew very little about!


I sent Carol this photo and she commented that the new one looked very pristine. I was motivated to buy it because of the fascinating history behind how the series got started. It's now even more inspiring I think now that we are in these pandemic times.

Link to the history:
https://www.history.com/news/the-personal-tragedy-behind-the-joy-of-cooking

Richard and Grace came for dinner last night. We just had pizza but maybe I'll next time I'll cook a classic from this classic:)

Carol's post: Don't throw out the cookbooks.

http://mountdunbar.blogspot.com/2020/06/dont-throw-out-cookbooks.html