Sunday, March 03, 2019

Itty Bittly Book Review: "Transcription"

"Transcription" by Kate Atkinson


You can always count on Atkinson for intellgent writing and this latest novel is no exception. On the most superficial level it is a spy novel set in WW II. It is really quite facinating and very witty. My bookclub at Brock House is discussing it the end of April and I will be most interested in what people have to say. It's also somewhat about the BBC as the protagonist works for the BBC after her spy duties but she never is really free from those duties as we come to see.

I do love this from the "Author's Note"

"Roughly speaking, for everything that could be considered a historical fact in this book, I made something up--and I'd like to think that a lot of the time readers won't be able to tell the difference. I'm only stating this to prevent people from claiming that I got something wrong. I got a lot of it wrong on purpose. After many conversations with myself, I went ahead and invented anything I felt like--the novelist's perogative, I suppose."