Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Speaking of libraries and what survives

Of course, libraries preserve things for research. Jim and I were just commenting recently what a boon it is to have materials available digitally now so researchers don't necessarily have to visit the collections in person.

Jim has done research at a lot of libraries and I wish I had all the library cards but we have quite a few of them. They got saved probably because Jim felt he might go back and do more research I suppose. Richard commented once when trying to figure out what got saved was more what didn't get thrown out. He was right but there was just so much stuff!  But his comment did make me more aware of saving things as mementoes.

 Patty and Terry went to a lot of music concerts over the years and mentioned regretting not saving the ticket stubs. It would have been so easy and takes up so little space. I thought of all the things we have attended and also thought why didn't I do this too. We saw people like Placido Domingo, Joan Sutherland, Leontyne Price, Glenda Jackson, Maggie Smith, Alan Bates, Laurence Olivier and others I can't remember at the moment.

Some library cards.  Of course I was having a good time seeing the sights while Jim was slaving away...


Austin Public Library, UCLA
British Library, Los Angeles Public Library



New York Public Library, The Huntington Library
Lambeth Palace Library, Georgetown University



Cambridge University Library, Columbia University Library
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Centre (Austin, Texas), KBR in Brussels, Belgium
* The Harry Ransom is where Jim spent a total of several weeks researching.  They have the most amazing collection of just about everything.  That's what Texas oil money can do...



Bilblioteque Nationale (Paris), New York Public Library
Archives Nationale (Paris), UCLA



Harry Ransome, Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale (Florence)
King's College, London

Jim just mentioned that some of the ones that didn't survive were Princeton, Yale, and Harvard.  I do remember Harvard very well.  I took a look in the library and a campus tour for parents was starting so I tagged along.  It was quite fascinating.