Friday, October 22, 2021

Another wonderful presentation yesterday at Brock House by Alix Ohlin

I'm participating via Zoom but there were a couple of people actually at Brock House. It's much easier to not have to rush out for a 10:30 meeting and now register, wear a mask, etc.

Well, she began talking about how wonderful Alice Munro was...how could I not love this! I now have one of her collections of short stories called "Dual Citizens" on my Kobo. It was available at the library. 

I haven't read a short story for quite a while and was thinking of reading some Alice Munro. 


Well, I'll read this instead. And since I can make the print bigger it's easier on my eyes. Just an update on my eyes. No irritation but it looks like I'll be seeing rather weirdly until the other one is done. Linda mentioned she was also hopeless getting the eyedrops in and got Cec to do it. Now Jim is doing mine. Thanks, Linda!





What can the short story tell us about life? In the space of just a few pages, a great deal. As a lifelong reader of stories, I'll talk about what I think is so exciting about the short story, why I'm drawn to it in my own work, and how a new generation of writers in Canada and beyond is reinventing this age-old genre.


Alix Ohlin
 is the author of six books, most recently WE WANT WHAT WE WANT, a collection of short stories. Her work has appeared in The New Yorker, The Walrus, and many other places. She is the Director of the UBC School of Creative Writing.