Thursday, April 29, 2021

Is this the skeleton of a cousin of Nessie?



"A Scot who took to Twitter for answers after her sister discovered part of a large skeleton on a remote beach on South Uist has been astounded by the sheer volume of replies she's received in response to the post.

Theories about what animal could have left behind the mysterious bones have ranged from the fantastic, with a cousin of Nessie or even a dinosaur being suggested, to the more mundane (and much more likely), with them being attributed to being the remains of a beached sperm whale."

The answer:  It was a sperm whale skeleton.

I've seen a lot of whales in my lifetime beginning when I was around 10 years old fishing off my parents' place at Gabriola Island and many times on the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria. And then for years Richard and I went to Sealand in Victoria hundreds of times. They used to sell season passes for a dollar around Christmas for locals. He insisted on being in the "wet zone". I feel very bad about those whales being captive now.