Wednesday, April 28, 2021

From Heather James Fine Art in Palm Springs

It's a pretty small painting but I expect it has a very big price.


FERNAND LÉGER
Le Vase Bleu, 1936 oil on canvas, 15 x 18 in.
Le Vase Bleu explores the language of Cubism through the casual playfulness of a lighthearted artist of mid-career maturity. The subjects of this still life are ordinary objects commonly found in daily life, perhaps chosen for their contrasting shapes. Still, the suggestion of familiar forms like an electrical plug and wire alongside the blue vase invites us to engage with the painting through curiosity and delight. 

Léger explained what he did in this way: “I took the object, I blew up the table, I put the object in the air, without perspective, without support. I scattered my objects in space and made them hold together by making them shine forward on the canvas.