Friday, October 30, 2020

Wow....what a story!

 Brock House has a Thursday morning presentation by local authors called the Esther Birney Series. Esther was married to the poet, Earle Birney, and she loved all things literary. I did go with Maureen to Iona Whishaw reading and talking about her mystery series. All of the presentations seem interesting but I don't like rushing in the morning and it interfered with my morning swim. Well, no swimming and they are on Zoom these days.

Enda Bardell's presentation was amazing and I think I will read this book at some point although I seem to have so much to read at the moment.

"Innocence in a Turbulent World is the heartfelt memoir, with simple illustrations, of a young girl's early childhood in rural Estonia before she was forced to flee her country after the events of WWII. Honest and down-to-earth, the narrative captures a child's perspective of both the simple joy of living off the land and the incomprehensible horror of being torn apart by a conflict she could not understand....}

She is also a pretty amazing artist. Like me, she is fascinated by the English Bay freighters. I love her abstract work too.

https://www.endabardell.com