Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Itty Bitty Book Review: "The Wake"


 While it was initially quite interesting because of my interest in Newfoundland and the fact that Jim's Dad was born there in 1910, it did become rather tiresome and if it wasn't a Brock House Bookclub choice I don't think I would have finished it. Yesterday I was at 71% read according to Mr. Kindle and when I took it up again yesterday I was thinking there might not be that much to go since there seemed to be a lot of notes and footnotes. So I was pretty thrilled when it ended at 76%...the rest being all the other paraphernalia. It's important history and I'm glad it was written but I do think it could have used very heavy editing. 

I also  think it would have been better as a novel. I enjoyed McIntyre's "The Only Café" (dealing with problems in Lebanon) and The Bishop's Man (dealing with sexual abuse in the Catholic Church).