Friday, June 21, 2019

Itty Bitty Book Review: "The Bookshop"

"The Bookshop" by Penelope Fitzgerald


This is our Brock House bookclub choice for this month and I will look forward to discussing it. I realise I haven't really read Penelope Fitzgerald. I think I was getting her mixed up with Penelope Lively. She's really very good and I enjoyed the novel other than I felt the ending didn't have to be quite so dismal. I knew things would turn out badly but I think there could have been the odd glimmer of something positive. I see there is quite a recent movie version which is available on iTunes. A review I read said the children in the movie are quite tiresome. They were interesting in the novel but I can see the movie makers making a sentimental mess of it. Perhaps give it a pass.

Well, the Blue Jays won finally and I'm composing this post while I view a magnificent sunset.


And just as I was posting this, Richard sent me a great sunset photo from their place!