Saturday, November 17, 2018

Language learning and other things


Jim has been enjoying his Spanish Conversation group at the Mizell Centre and he is always finding wonderful resources for language learning. The latest is Alba Learning which has parallel texts mainly in Spanish/English but also French/English so you can read the texts and listen to a beautifully read rendition. They have short stories, poems, and even songs.

This link brings you to Kate Chopin's wonderful "Story of an Hour".

https://albalearning.com/audiolibros/chopin/historia-sp-en.html

Jim is so far ahead of me in Spanish that I've pretty much decided not to work on learning Spanish but I may work on my French. I am also interested in learning a bit of Mandarin since there are so many Mandarin speakers in Vancouver. I have registered for a free online course but haven't done much with it so far.

And yesterday we got to Fisherman's for the first time this season.  The grilled catfish was wonderful as usual!



Before we went for lunch we went to a leather place to get some treatment for his leather jacket that dried out a bit when he forgot it in Palm Springs last year.  When you're leaving on a very warm April day you aren't really thinking about a jacket!

There was a interesting antique place close by so we looked around and I spotted this pink flamingo that is like one of the three that Mary and Derek gave us when we moved into the Flamingo apartment in English Bay.  Mary, you'll be interested to know they want $75 US for this one. As I remember you still have some yourself.