Friday, June 25, 2021

Rick Hulbert Photography

 A while ago Rick did a lecture at Brock House via zoom. It seems he hasn't been doing much photography lately but I received this today and was particularly interested since we do go to The Nest at UBC quite a bit for lunch. They have a great outdoor balcony with views of the North Shore Mountains.

In the photos it looks like something out of a Science Fiction movie rather than the place we have lunch.

WIDE ANGLE HEAVEN




After 15 months of refraining from hands-on photography, I have finally started to re-charge my camera batteries along with my own physical battery. Thanks to one of my workshop attendees, Barry Fisher, I jumped at the opportunity to photograph two well publicized buildings . . . the University of British Columbia Student Union “Nest” by Dialogue and B+H Associated Architects, and the Surrey Centre Library by Architect Bing Thom, in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada.

Both buildings feature a modern form, challenging those who want to capture the unique contemporary spatial characteristics of each structure. It was also a great opportunity for me to try out a new lens, acquired during our exceedingly rare global pandemic.

As I find wide angle photography a personal challenge, I convinced myself that I “needed” a new lens from Venus Optics. The Laowa 9mm f/5.6 full frame rectilinear lens is the widest angle commercially available lens ever produced.

Over the last couple of weeks, my morning excursions marked the first chance I had to experiment with my new toy. The following images are the result.