Thursday, March 05, 2020

World Book Day



Today is World Book Day and in honour of that I am including some quotes on reading from The New York Public Library. If you're in New York and have the time, go to the library. You can even get a free card for the library. Jim and I both have one and have used the library when we've been in NYC. They have a delightful outdoor reading area in Bryant Park which is adjacent. I mainly used the outdoor reading area when Jim was inside doing Huxley research. Interesting that the first quote is  by Huxley!


 “Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly—they’ll go through anything. You read and you’re pierced.” ―Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.” ―J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” ―Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
“A classic is a book that has never finished saying what it has to say.” ―Italo Calvino, The Uses of Literature

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” ―Fran Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader

“To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.” ―W. Somerset Maugham, Books and You

“A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading.” ―William Styron, Conversations with William Styron

“I am eternally grateful for my knack of finding in great books, some of them very funny books, reason enough to feel honored to be alive, no matter what else might be going on.” ―Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake
“Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness.” ―Helen Keller, The Story of My Life