Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Itty Bitty Book Review: "Where the Crawdads Sing"

"Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens


This was a Brock House Book Club pick for July but my Palm Springs bookclub was raving about it all last year so I thought I would read it since I was looking for a good book. It is quite wonderful and beautifully written. You really get the feel for the North Carolina swamps and all the wonderful wildlife that only the "Swamp Girl" knows so much about and can paint it too. She spent one day in school as she was "white trash" and laughed at but educated herself and published famous books on the wildlife there.  She ended up alone at a very young age and survived by her wits.

This is fiction but I'm now reading "Educated" by Tara Westover and this is a true story of a young woman who overcame many obstacles and accomplished many things. This was the Brock House book for March but Brock House has closed so we won't be meeting.