Wednesday, July 11, 2018

World Cup

France won the semi-final and that was great but I will always remember this day for the amazing rescue of all the boys and their coach who were trapped in a cave in Thailand. The world won a lot by this cooperative outstanding effort. Good on the world!  They have been invited to the World Cup Final but it's unlikely they'll be able to go. They will be hosted by Manchester United later in the year. They are excited about that. 


I watched some of the World Cup (saw the goal and the ending) yesterday. I never played soccer and have watched very little. The game certainly goes quickly since time is rarely called. There seemed to be more physical contact than I would have thought legal but perhaps I didn't see things correctly. There also seemed to be a lot of time passing the ball around which seemed like deliberately wasting time.  It certainly doesn't have the speed of hockey.

Now baseball is something I do understand. We've been watching the Blue Jays quite a bit. Even when they're losing there are usually some great hits, catches, plays, etc. And I love the non violent aspect of the game. The most that happens is a manager starts to tell off an umpire and the manager gets thrown out of the game within a minute....very civilized.

Some of Kevin Pillar's amazing catches.



I love the Photoshop treatment here...he really does seem like Superman sometimes!