Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Lunch at La Brass today on 10th Ave

We learned La Brass has AC so went there today for what is apparently the last really hot day. We were pleased with our lunch.

We both began with the  fish soup which was less rich (a good thing!) than the Provence Marinaside example. It was good on a warm day because it is so much south of France for us but we will enjoy it on a cool Fall or Winter day as well.

It's actually rather rare to get this dish outside of France. It is a fish broth which you pour in the gruyere cheese and accompanied with crostini and rouille sauce (is a sauce that consists of olive oil with breadcrumbs, garlic, saffron and cayenne pepper).


Then I had the calamari salad which was very good but really too much calamari for me although it was very nicely grilled with no batter.  Jim helped out.  Getting a perfect calamari is very difficult as I prefer it deep fried with a very light batter but it has to be just perfectly cooked which almost never happens.



Jim had the steak frites which was probably one of the best steak frites ever...wow!  I got a bit.


I can see Jim always getting the steak frites and I just might get that too from time to time and I almost never order steak.  But I will have to try the bouillabaisse next, then the prawns basquese, then the rack of lamb first.