Sunday, July 10, 2016

Thinking about another French kitchen...

We stayed in this apartment on the port of Carqueiranne in 2002 and 2003.   My blog post from the time:

Our Lillipution kitchen equipped with everything including dishwasher, microwave, blender, juicer, foodprocessor, etc. 



In the advertisement for the apartment,  the kitchen was referred to as "une cuisine Americaine"....an American kitchen.  Well,  it certainly wasn't "American" in terms of size so I thought it was because they had appliances like blender,  etc which aren't that common in French kitchens I have known at least.   But I later learned that it was because of the "open plan" rather than being in a separate room.  

Now,  when I spied the old traditional fish boat coming in from my perch by the window and went down to buy some fish that became my first painting ever "Rockfish",  I got chatting to a woman who was advising me to also buy some other fish that made wonderful soup.  I replied that I only had "a small kitchen".  She gave me a haughty look and responded,  "Madame,  on peut faire beaucoup de choses dans un petite cuisine!"  
"Madam,  one can do lots of things in a tiny kitchen!"

....and so one can.

My "Rockfish"