Friday, July 29, 2016

Jim is such a wonderful teacher!

Jim's evaluations from his most recent SFU course.  I'm glad that Jim keeps inspiring students  and also glad he has agreed to do a "moderate" amount of teaching.  I'll be holding him to it!

Respondent 01: I enjoyed the passion that James brought to the course and all the materials he posted on Canvas. I did find myself having some difficulties relating to some of the short stories that were chosen. I do like dark subjects, but I also appreciate uplifting and empowering stories as well, so perhaps for future courses, there could be more of a balance in that regard. * Also there were some minor time management issues: running late, running out of time to cover the week's material.

Respondent 02: For me, it was a very good introduction to short story "masters" that I had not read in the past. For that alone it was worthwhile. Mr. Sexton worked hard to give in-depth information both in the class and on his course website. He was very respectful and patient to all students.

Respondent 03: Learned a lot. Dr. Sexton provides extra materials/Internet – Canvas/ songs, videotapes and films. Goes beyond the usual requirements.

Respondent 04: A large class for a discussion format. Probably appropriate for a seminar, rather than one in lecture approach. Although I would prefer a smaller class and more discussion around themes – i.e., structure, imagery, internal consistency, point of view.

Respondent 05: Jim Sexton is probably one of the most entertaining and knowledgeable teachers I've had the pleasure to encounter – and I have an extensive background in creative writing classes. I would recommend a course with him any time.

Respondent 06: Instructor very knowledgeable and approachable. I enjoyed the course.

Respondent 07: It was a treat having James again! He has excellent presentation skills and is very passionate about his material. A pleasure!

Respondent 08: Mr. Sexton is very knowledge. It is a delight and pleasure to be in his class. Discussions were stimulating and humorous.

Respondent 09: Enjoyed the course. Discussed writers I was not familiar with and now am interested in continuing to read. Too much course content to cover in time allowed. Instructor encourages participation which I think is good.



Respondent 10: Very disappointed with reading materials. My package did not include all that was covered.

Respondent 11: An excellent course covering the important writers of our time. Excellent instructor who teaches with energy and enthusiasm. Very personable and tried to know students individually. Thanks.

Respondent 12: The selection of material was excellent – a broad variety of themes, settings, and particularly the characters. Also the instructor encouraged class participation and varying interpretation so the classes were lively and stimulating and very enlightening – a very satisfactory course - well worth the time, effort and $.

Respondent 13: Jim is a very experienced lecturer and he also makes sure everyone can participate if they wish. He takes great care to learn everyone's names and this lends a personal touch to the course and material.

Respondent 14: James put in a lot of work preparing the text obviously, which was appreciated. I enjoyed the course immensely. Let's hope for return engagement.

Respondent 15: Jim is a knowledgeable, inspiring and enthusiastic teacher of the short story. I learned what to look for in a short story in order to read it on a deeper level. His choices of stories were really interesting. Loved his classes. They were alive with his own analysis and intelligent discussions that arose. I would definitely take another class with him.

Respondent 16: The discussions and readings were very interesting and fun. What I learned also helps me appreciate literature more but movies as well. Thank you, Jim!

Respondent 17: Instructor very inspiring.

Respondent 18: Instructor let the class set an appropriate level of discussion, when we’re very involved, whilst still providing a stimulating, thought-provoking course.

Respondent 19: This is my first course in the program. I have enjoyed the instruction from both Mr. 
Sexton and the other students – such a wealth of knowledge!

Respondent 20: Really enjoyed this class. I appreciated Jim's depth of knowledge of his subject and his enthusiasm. Excellent instructor!