Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Sun newspaper is 100 years old today...Happy Birthday Vancouver Sun!

If you love newspapers like I do and love Vancouver you might want to pick up today's edition which has lots of cool stuff about the city and the newspaper. Perhaps wishful thinking but I think the print edition of my favourite newspapers like the Sun, the Times-Colonist, and the Desert Sun (Palm Springs) will still be around for some time to come.

One of best summers I had was when I was a Sun Swim Instructor the summer I was 15 years old and was too young to get a regular job. It was a blast and I was chosen to be one of the representatives on the Sun Fishing Derby. I remember we got invited to a party on this fancy yacht afterwards and we were pretty innocent at the time. We were in our Sun bathing suits since that was what we were wearing and we made quite a sensation when we arrived at this big booze up of pretty much all men. One of the guys from the newspaper (I'd love to know who it was)  immediately took us under his wing and made it clear we were off limits and were not to be offered alcohol. It all felt very glamorous to be on a real yacht...first time for me that's for sure.

And my photo was on the front page the next day...how cool was that!



Video collage: 100 Years of The Vancouver Sun’s history