Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Popcorn and math

I've alway had a big love of popcorn and not a great love for math. What a brilliant idea this teacher had. I just may have even come to like math. A very good friend of mine was a math teacher and I once asked her what she liked about math. She said it was because there was a right answer. Well, I loved English literature because there usually wasn't one right answer. She said it drove her crazy that you could have more than one interpretation. We became good friends because she was always staying after school to help students with their math and I was helping students with their French. Someone who liked languages was even more of a mystery to her. I understood that because I didn't really like learning a language either but Jim and I loved France. On our first trip I was sitting there like a dummy while he enjoyed the opportunity to speak French. Being silent isn't exactly my style so I figured I better learn the wretched language since he wanted to spend six months in France on our next trip. https://www.gatesnotes.com/Modernizing-math-education?WT.mc_id=20231003090000_Math-Update_BG-EM_&WT.tsrc=BGEM