Saturday, October 14, 2023

Paraprosdokian

Stealing from Linda's blog again. "I had no idea what Paraprosdokian was, so I looked it up: A paraprosdokian (/pærəprɒsˈdoʊkiən/) is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence, phrase, or larger discourse is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists such as Groucho Marx. Will glass coffins be a success? Remains to be seen. What's the difference between a hippo and a zippo? One is really heavy and the other is a little lighter. Hear about the new restaurant called Karma? There's no menu - you get what you deserve. I went to buy some camouflage trousers yesterday, but couldn't find any. What do you call a bee that can't make up its mind? A maybe. I tried to sue the airline for losing my luggage. I lost my case. Is it ignorance or apathy that's destroying the world today? I don't know and I don't really care. I wasn't originally going to get a brain transplant, but then I changed my mind. Which country's capital has the fastest-growing population? Ireland. Every day it's Dublin. I saw an ad for burial plots, and I thought: "That's the last thing I need!" Need an ark? I Noah guy. You're not completely useless, you can always serve as a bad example. I broke my finger last week. On the other hand, I'm okay. Did you hear about the guy who got hit in the head with a can of soda? He was lucky it was a soft drink. To the mathematician who thought of the idea of zero. Thanks for nothing! Son: "Dad, can you tell me what a solar eclipse is?" Dad: "No sun." How can you identify a Dogwood tree? By its bark."