Thursday, February 02, 2023

And keeping along the French theme

 In her newsletter Louise Penny mentioned she was off to Paris later this month and made a mention of the art nouveau metro signs. I didn't realize they were considered "art nouveau". I guess they just became so much a part of Paris that was just Paris. It's strange to think that I found almost everything I saw in Paris amazing and yet never really thought of the metro signs as being special and don't remember reading that wonderful little bit of history in any guidebook.

Wow...Eurostar takes only two hours London to Paris now.  I remember taking the train and hovercraft London to Paris many years ago. It was probably our first trip to Europe in 1972. It was by slow train and hovercraft and there were many delays because of weather. I have a memory of it taking 24 hours which may not be correct. I know we were completely exhausted when we arrived in Paris around 2am. The hotel  had held our reservations which was amazing since I had just a confirmation by letter and had made no payment. It was a Saturday night and the streets were teeming with people. We joined the throng and had a great time. 

"Along those lines, am off to Paris later this month for dinner with the great Dorie Greenspan and her husband Michael.  Eurostar in two hours, London to Paris.  How amazing.  I'll let you know how it goes and will send pictures.  We're having dinner at Juveniles - which Dorie introduced me to years ago and which figured in ALL THE DEVILS ARE HERE.

I have yet to master the Métro system in Paris.  I keep getting lost, and then get all intimidated.  I know it's about perseverance, like so much in life, but I really just want it to be easy!  Argh. 
Though I do love the art nouveau signs outside the subway entrances.  (Though those can also look slightly scary.)"