Sunday, March 14, 2021

Books and Paris


This came up on a FB thing about "Books about Paris". I did get the "Paris for One" at the library. Well, a "romance" I guess. Not exactly my style but somewhat interesting.  Jojo Moyes seems to be quite a popular writer but there seems to be quite a controversy about her novel about the "packhorse librarians". I guess I was attracted to it because of these people bringing books to the backwoods. I have it on hold so I guess that's why I was open to this novel.

 So, I've done two new things recently. Listened to an interview by Oprah (guess I don't have to say what that was) and read most of a "romance" novel. I may not finish it...seems pretty predictable.  Amazing what being in "lock down" can lead one to do. 
But then again I might get into romance novels...one has to find comfort where one can these days. I can't say I'm particularly enjoying my rather serious bookclub novels at the moment.


'"But in the middle of the novel’s release, fellow author Richardson has claimed Moyes’ story features “alarming similarities” to her own novel, which was published months earlier in May.Speaking to Buzzfeed News, Richardson initially said she “could only hope there was more than enough room for more than one” novel on the subject, but revealed it wasn’t long before a blogger allegedly told her there were “specific similarities” between the two books.

“History is not proprietorial,” Richardson said. “[But] the disturbing similarities found in Moyes' book are too many and too specific and quite puzzling.

“None of the similarities found in Moyes' novel can be chalked up to the realities of history, nor can be found in any historical records, archives or photographs of the packhorse librarian project initiative that I meticulously studied. These fictional devices/ plot points were ones I invented.”

“The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes is a wholly original work,” a spokesperson for Penguin Random House offshoot Pamela Dorman later told the publication. “It is a deeply researched piece of historical fiction based on the true story of the Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky.