Friday, August 12, 2016

A very choppy ocean swim and a fabulous dinner.

I think our swim today will be much calmer.  I almost got knocked down by a wave yesterday coming in from our swim!  We couldn't believe how many people were out and about on Beach Ave,  Davie,  and Yaletown on our drive to the Provence Marinaside.  We had reservations but the restaurant was packed.  We were glad to be able to snag the last outdoor table available when we arrived.  It was a lovely evening and the food was amazing especially the halibut and a very generous portion given the cost of fresh halibut.  The wine pairings were perfect.


We began with a "Mediterranean Caesar"....a little appetizer in itself.



Still handsome after all these years!



They do things up so nicely at this restaurant.   This is the extra little "amuse bouche" they brought us as a gift from the kitchen...scallop with tomato type pesto.  Immediately they brought us some little toasts and tapenade..so south of France.  Jim began with the gazpacho and I had the tomato tarte.  I think I got the better deal.  The gazpacho had a bit of cream in it and was an interesting take but I think I make a pretty good gazpacho and like the pure veggie taste.  I can see that the little bit of cream takes the edge off the acidity of the tomatoes but for a tomato lover like myself I love that taste.



My halibut...wow!


Jim's steak.  The best thing about it for me were the shoestring potatoes like what Le Crocodile always gives you as a "gift from the kitchen".  Good thing Jim doesn't particularly like them.  I got most of them.



Our desserts.  Trio of sorbet for Jim (I got "hunks")  and of course I can never resist a lemon tart.




The owners of these dogs were lucky to get an outdoor table by the fence.  The restaurant welcomed them and told them they could "park their dogs".  I hadn't heard that expression before.