Monday, November 09, 2009

Julie and Julia



Jim and I enjoyed the film a lot and we wondered a bit why Julia Child was so negative to Julie's project. We were still in the thrall of the warm fuzzies Hollywood can create. I even thought that if Julia Child had seen this movie she would have changed her mind.

Then reality hit. Being a blogger I was of course interested in her blog. You don't have to read much to realize why Julia Child was not impressed with this foul mouthed whiny New Yorker who is not a typical New Yorker that's for sure. The New Yorkers I've met have been fabulous. I also really wonder whether she did do the cooking she spews on about. Perhaps it will turn out to be a fraud like James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces".

The Julie/Julia Project
Warning: Have a vomit bag at the ready.

Then I began to read "My Life in France" by Julia Child which is just wonderful and highly recommended. But I began to become a bit annoyed at Hollywood and Meryl Streep (as much as I loved her performance at the time) for making a caricature of Julia and simplifying her life so much. I'm sure Julia Child would have hated the movie and rightly so. Maybe someone will make a movie and show the Child's real living conditions...not exactly the luxury portrayed in the film.



Warning: You may have to book a trip to France