Friday, July 22, 2005

Some books I've been reading lately

"Tender is the Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I started this in France since he wrote it there and it was about the decadent society of the French Riviera of the late '20's. I found it way overwritten and stopped reading it. Picked it up again and finished it as I had forgotten I had recommended it for my bookclub and we were discussing it at my house when I came home! Book II was actually very good but the rest it not really worth it.

"Runaway" by Alice Munro
Fabulous as usual...how does she do it? I heard her interviewed about this book on CBC and she commented that she especially chose the one word title after all the hassles of people trying to remember her last title....what was that..."Friendship, Hateship, Courtship, Loveship....something else too, I think!

"What Cassanova Told Me" by Susan Swann
Really rather dismal but finished it since it was a bookclub choice. I have been wanting to read something of hers but I think she's over rated as a writer.

"Light on Snow" by Anita Shreve
I thought I would give her another chance since I didn't get into "The Pilot's Wife". This novel had something going for it but would have been better as a short story...not enough meat for a novel.

"The Wonder Spot" by Melissa Bank
A similar quality to the "Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing" which I loved. Not quite as amusing but interesting atmosphere and characterization.

"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd
Quite a delightful story....good writer.