Saturday, August 16, 2003

Been reading a very interesting non-fiction book (yes...I do actually read something from the "real" world from time to time...) called "Tilting: House Launching, Slide Hauling, Potato Trenching, and other tales from Newfoundland Fishing Village" by Robert Mellin. The author is an architecture prof who has studied the architecture and culture of an outpost in Newfoundland called Tilting. The old houses in this community are almost like boats in that they are built on wooden foundations so they can be moved or "launched" relatively easily and any porches are called bridges. Very easy on the environment since structures can be re-used and moved easily and if they are left to rot there isn't a cement foundation to mar the landscape until the end of time. We've probably all seen pictures of outports in Newfoundland so I included a picture of a patchwork quilt. I seem to recall having one of these in the family. The ones I remember more were made out of men's suits samples that my mom got from our uncle who ran a men's clothing store. My original scan keeps coming up upside down so am posting two that I played around with in Photoshop.



Quilt done with "crackelature" effect from Photoshop



Quilt done with "cutout effect from Photoshop