Sunday, January 07, 2018

Books and Libraries

 "A Winter in Mallorca" by George Sand


I did read about a third of this and it was quite interesting but never really got to saying much about being with Chopin on this trip....mainly complaints about how primitive the Spaniards were. It got a bit tiresome. I did learn learn a bit more about George Sand...certainly an interesting person in her time!


Linda's booklist reminded me that I hadn't read a Margaret Drabble for years and I used to read pretty much everything she wrote.  I think my last one was The Witch of Exmoor and I didn't particularly care for that if I remember correctly.  So,  I got "The Dark Flood Rises" and visited my West Point Grey VPL branch for the first time.  It's quite a small library but rather warm and cosy and seems to have quite a big children's section given the size.  It was a Saturday and good to see lots of kids and parents looking for books.  It seems reading still is a big thing for local families here.  I guess that's not really a surprise given all the university faculty and grad students who live in the area.