Saturday, September 12, 2015

Itty Bitty Book Review: "Anna Karenina"

"Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy


Well,  I must say it was quite an amazing read and somewhat surprised I hadn't read any Tolstoy.  I think I must read War and Peace but will take a bit of a break from massive tomes.  It's a wonderfully "modern" novel considering it was written in 1877.  Especially in the first parts,  I was struck by the satirical commentary on Russian society.   And of course the main purpose of the novel which focuses on the sorry state of woman's rights and the double standard.  The men don't come off very well.  Levin does eventually find his "faith" and can believe in God and a purpose for living:

"Where could I have got it?  By reason could I have arrived at knowing that I must love my neighbour and not oppress him?  I was told that in my childhood, and I believed it gladly, for they told me what was already in my soul.  But who discovered it?  Not reason. Reason discovered the struggle for existence, and the law that requires us to oppress all who hinder the satisfaction of one's desires.  That is the deduction of reason.  But loving one's neighbour reason could never discover,  because it's irrational."

His revelation reminds me of these quotes I've always liked about kindness:

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
Dalai Lama
“Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” 
― Henry James

"It's a little embarrassing that after 45 years of research & study, the best advice I can give people is to be a little kinder to each other."

― Aldous Huxley

Note from Carol today:
Congratulations on finishing Anna. I was interested that you picked out the same passage that I did when recapping my thoughts on the book-- great minds.... .?