Monday, November 15, 2021

Jane Austen conference

While we have been very restricted because of COVID, I have had lots of opportunities to see things I wouldn't otherwise have seen. These were very interesting talks from a conference in Hawaii. I think so many conferences and talks will be zoomed as well as in person in the future. Our next local Jane Austen will be trying the format of doing both and many things are now taped so you can watch them later. I won't have to miss my morning swim:)

I knew Jane Austen is read world wide but I was amazed at all the translations. The whole idea of translation is pretty interesting itself. One translator made a happy ending for Persuasion.

I googled "Jane Austen Translations" and this came up. So, English translated into English. Now, I can see English speakers being helped with  Shakespeare. But then I thought perhaps this is a good idea especially for people who aren't native English speakers and for people who are learning English. I remember Monique mentioning that at her LycĂ©e (just love it when the accents are put in automatically!) they read Shakespeare in their class in learning English. She learned pretty much nothing and couldn't speak English from her classes she took in France at school just as we didn't really learn to speak French from our classes in Canada.

The classic novel, carefully edited for modern readers to allow for easier reading. 

When rich and handsome bachelor Charles Bingley moves into the neighborhood, Mrs. Bennet is ecstatic. She insists that her husband welcome Bingley – and secure an introduction to the Bennet’s five unmarried daughters. Since Mr. Bennet’s estate can only be inherited by a male heir, it’s imperative that at least one of his daughters marries well. But when the meeting finally takes place, it is Bingley’s arrogant friend Mr. Darcy who falls for Elizabeth, the Bennet’s intelligent and witty second eldest daughter. What follows is Darcy’s unlikely pursuit of Elizabeth, a tale that has delighted readers for generations.

 "Jane Austen in Translation" 

3:10-3:50 p.m. Pacific/1:10-1:50 p.m. Hawaiian
Dr. Juliette Wells
Professor of Literary Studies
Goucher College, Baltimore
 
I haven't read "Klara and the Sun" but even more intrigued after this talk. I usually enjoy Ishiguro.
 
"Reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun as a Modern Interpretation of Mansfield Park"
4:40-5:20 p.m. Pacific/2:40-3:20 p.m. Hawaiian
Dr. Hatsuyo Shimazaki
Founding Member
Jane Austen Society of Japan