Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Pretty exciting for Canada!

 We don't tend to watch soccer but I think I would like to watch this one and really hope they win. You don't see the name "Fleming" very much. It seemed like a rather rare last name when I was growing up and I always had to spell it.

From the CBC:

Canada will change the colour of the medal after upsetting the United States 1-0 in the semifinals of the women's tournament at the Tokyo Olympics on Monday at Kashima Stadium. After winning back-to-back bronze medals, the Canadians will go for gold when they play Sweden in Friday's final.

Jessie Fleming scored from the penalty spot in the 74th minute to help Canada earn its first win over the U.S. since a registering 3-0 decision on March 11, 2001 at the Algarve Cup.

A bit of history about my maiden name. I think I have probably posted this before and how I felt about the name.

Fleming is a name that originated amongst the industrious people of  Flanders The name came to Ireland with the Anglo-Norman settlers that followed the  Strongbow led invasions of 1171 and 1172. 

The Fleming name is derived from the Old French word "flamanc," which means a " Flemish person" or simply a "Fleming."