Thursday, July 22, 2021

Objects of affection

 The Tyee asked for submissions from readers for items readers loved. A surprising one was this very simple item...a potato peeler. I have one just like it and love it too. We've encountered various contraptions for peeling in our travels and also no vegetable peeler at all in the kitchen drawers.

"One of my first kitchen utensils, a peeler. I bought it at the corner store beside my first apartment in 1985. It takes off a micro thin layer of peel, so there’s very little waste, the ultimate carrot peeler for that reason. I have never sharpened it and it has never gone dull, yet I use it all the time. It makes me smile whenever I use it. — Bob Preston"


But I absolutely love this opener for jars. There was one in our condo in Palm Springs and we made sure we packed it when we sold


I see you can buy one at Amazon cheap and they seem to be designed specially for people with arthritis and with weak hands. I think I have quite a bit of hand strength but some jars really defeat me.

https://www.amazon.ca/Kichwit-Arthritis-Opener-Stainless-Steel/dp/B01M14TVC6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=108UL91RQR2ZG&dchild=1&keywords=jar+opener&qid=1626971760&sprefix=jar+o%2Caps%2C233&sr=8-8