Sunday, September 22, 2019

Itty Bitty Book Review: "The Testaments"

"The Testaments" by Margaret Atwood


Well, of course I had to read this but I did approach it with a bit of trepidation since I thought it could be rather depressing. And also since I seem to have some depressing reading coming up for my two bookclubs. For October one is reading Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles and the other Hardy's Jude the Obscure. I have read both (albeit a million years ago) so I may just watch the movies:)

But back to "The Testaments". We know this is about the downfall of Gilead but how it all comes about is quite fascinating and Atwood uses quite a bit of humour surprisingly and it ends up being quite a thriller in the end. Like Kate Atkinson's "Big Sky", you know the bad guys are going to lose in the end but both authors spin a rather amazing yarn about how that happens.

I think the novel is really quite wonderful and an amazing achievement. I hope she wins the Booker and I really hope she will win the Nobel Prize for Literature at some time in the next few years. The Nobel Prize is only awarded to living authors. Her body of work and her contribution to Canadian Literature  deserves to be recognized with that honour.

I picked up Season One of the TV series of The Handmaid's Tale at the library today so will be interesting to view that. It certainly has had tremendous reviews.