Friday, February 01, 2019

A rainy day, a good mystery, and a cup of tea...


Patty recommended this and I'm so glad I put a hold on it and it came in before we left. We're still both under the weather and this will be a perfect antidote. I've just read three pages and I love it already.

Susan Ryeland, the editor for the famous mystery writer,  Alan Conway, is just sitting down to read the manuscript of his latest called "Magpie Murders".

A few quotes:

First paragraph:

"A bottle of wine. A family-sized packet of Nacho Cheese Flavoured Tortilla Chips and a jar of hot salsa dip. A packet of cigarettes on the side (I know, I know). The rain hammering against the window And a book. What could have been lovelier?"
.....

Page 2-3

"I began to read the book as you are about to. But before you do that, I have to say to you.
This book changed my life."

"There are plenty of books that have touched me very deeply: Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go', McEwan's 'Atonement'."

She had me at the first paragraph but then she mentions two wonderful novels that I loved and they do touch you deeply.