Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Bookclub at The Penny Farthing

We had a super time at our Christmas Bookclub meeting and Wendy very generously treated us all....thank you, Wendy!  And Wendy had her family provide us with transportation there and back....now that is one hostess.  We did all enjoy the book,  Louise Penny's first mystery novel, "Still Life". 

The most fun ( along with the eating and drinking of course) is the Book Exchange.  It was a very lively exchange with many "steals" but everyone was happy with their book.  I brought the latest Alice Munro (no surprise there....) and ended up with the CBC Massey Lectures by Adam Gopnik called "Winter".  I loved his "Paris to the Moon" about his time with his family living in Paris and look forward to reading "Winter" on wintery days....maybe we'll even get some snow.  I remember in 1996, the year of the big big blizzard I had just begun to read "Snow Falling on Cedars"....very appropriate.

I took some very bad photos but did manage to get everyone more or less.  I must start taking my digital camera with me....the iPhone just doesn't cut it when the light is very bad for photos.  Well,  that my excuse..

 Roberta, Pru, Gretel

 Heather P., Adrienne, Wendy

 The very serious business of ordering...Susan,  Heather K, Roberta, our great server, Wendy

Jean et moi