Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Olympics....

 


 Jim and I may be the only people on the planet who actually didn't watch a minute of the Olympics.  Well,  not completely true as I turned on the Opening Ceremonies out of interest and happened to catch the Rowen Atkinson thing and watched the dance and music sequence afterwards.  I did think that was very cool but then some pretentious dance came on and turned it off.  Probably more of any opening or closing ceremony I've watched and good on the Brits for doing the playfulness angle.

But "everything but the kitchen sink" spectacles with a lot of nationalistic stuff don't turn me on and I'm pretty jaded about the hoopla in general.  I do look forward to seeing these wonderful facilities in the London East End and hope all that helps the people who really need it.

I liked this comment someone made on what to look forward to for the closing ceremonies:

"Do we really need a cast containing drug addicts, importuners and a sex maniac representing the UK in a worldwide sporting spectacle. The list does not seem very representative of the UK but the usual London based clique. There is enough quality young talent available in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales to compete with  those old has beens on the list. I thought these Olympics were about the young and so should be the final spectacle which looks to the future in Rio. You might as well put Vera Lynn and Bruce Forsyth on stage as they could perform as well as some on the list."

To end on a positive note,  I do love London and the British and good for them for pulling it all off!