Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Another Vancouver favourite thing....

I love the neon in Vancouver and this was my favourite neon sign as a kid. Much of it is gone now but some has been preserved at the Vancouver Museum and other places and on this great website. The sign was along Kingsway and the Dragon Inn was unusual in being a Chinese restaurant outside of Chinatown. Of course, my family would have never eaten Chinese food so had to wait until I had money to order in or go there. Actually, my brother and I had ordered in Chinese food from here (our parents were at Gabriola) on my first date with Jim which I forgot I had. He was easily consoled by sharing our meal. His family was strictly meat and potatoes too.


This isn't the most spectacular sign but it has exotic memories as I used to go there with my Japanese and Chinese friends when we were at UBC and we'd get a huge meal for about 75 cents each. It was in Chinatown and the menus were all in Chinese only and no one seemed to speak English. A big adventure for me!



vancouverneon.com